who we are
Indonesian Coffee and Cocoa Research Institute (ICCRI) has been founded in 1911 and obtain a national mandate to conduct research and development activities in coffee and cocoa commodities from Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Indonesia. Ministry of Research and Technology has declared ICCRI as a Center of Excellence (CoE) for cocoa in 2012 and Center of Excellence (CoE) for coffee in 2013 to support Acceleration and Expansion of Indonesia’s Economic Development. Moreover, in May 2016, the Ministry of Research, Technology and High Education has declared ICCRI as one of Science Techno Park (STP) in Indonesia. In the same year, ICCRI also has been recognized as a CoE in Value-chain Capacity Building (VCB) network.
Several activities were carried out by ICCRI:
(1) Transferring coffee and cocoa plant materials derived from Somatic Embryogenesis propagation method,
(2) Conducting molecular biology researches on cocoa and coffee,
(3) Doing multi-location trials/dissemination of coffee and cocoa superior plant materials in central development areas,
(4) Collaboration with local governments for participatory breeding program in order to assess the superior clones / local varieties,
(5) Developing and increasing regional superior product, marketing system and geographical indications,
(6) Conducting survey on smallholder farmers’ livelihoods and impact assessment survey of value chain intervention,
(7) Providing training for coffee and cocoa stakeholders on farming, processing, marketing system, and farmer organization aspects, and
(8) Providing training for enumerators’ prior assessment survey.
what we can offer
ICCRI also produces and disseminates research’s products such as coffee and cocoa seeds, machineries and equipments for processing of coffee and cocoa, and downstream processing of coffee and cocoa products. Training, consultancy, survey and analysis services are also main core provided by ICCRI. Training topics that we offer are Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Handling Practices (GHP) and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) on coffee and cocoa commodities.
In addition, ICCRI has initiated and directly involved in the coffee and cocoa value chain activity, called Mediated Partnership Model (Motramed) since 2001. There are several activities applied on Motramed, such as empowering farmer organizations, farmers’ capacity building by improving farmers’ knowledge on market information, Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Handling Practices (GHP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and developing marketing system by building direct relationships with buyers for shortening coffee and cocoa value chain to improve household farmers’ livelihoods.
ICCRI has long experiences on conducting research and development on coffee and cocoa. We have 35 researchers that supported by reliable technicians. We have successfully improved smallholder farmers’ livelihoods in several coffee and cocoa producing areas, such as Kintamani (Bali); Manggarai and Ngada (Flores); and Situbondo and Bondowoso (East Java). In supporting ICCRI’s core value, ICCRI Training Center (ICCRI-TC) has been accredited by ISO 9001: 2008. Also, ICCRI has been accredited by National Accreditation Committee, i.e. ICCRI Testing Laboratory (No. LP-592-IDN), and Product Certification Agencies CCQC (LSPr-36-IDN).
ICCRI is a partner for central as well as local governments, private sector and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in Indonesia. ICCRI’s collaboration partners including research and industrial institutions, such as national and local government in many producing regions, Nestle R&D Centre in Tours, France (has been started since 1997), World Cocoa Foundation (WCF), World Coffee Research (WCR), ACIAR, USDA, Mars Inc., Mondelez, Barry Callebaut, CABI, etc.